Tuesday, December 4, 2007

A Programming Note...

My good and dear friends:

With my wife in the hospital again and a full house of sick kids (or should that be called a "royal flush"?), I've been inundated with domestic chores. This explains my scandalously long hiatus, which will end tomorrow -- I promise.

Mientras tanto, and apropos of nothing, I've decided to share a few performance clips that have offered me some solace today, while cleaning and folding clothes and linens onto which my afflicted offspring have been casting their gorge. In such circumstances, I had to find something (of a non-psychotropic nature, I hasten to specify) to elevate my mood.

The first offering is from the Trey Anastasio Band, captured in the middle of a pointless but delicious ten-minute jam:





The next helping is from the immortal Jeff Beck at this year's Crossroads Festival in Chicago. Here he is turning The Beatles' "A Day in the Life" inside-out. Of particular note is Mr. Beck's astonishingly gifted 21-year-old bass player, Tal Wakenfield. Her skills aren't displayed to best advantage on this track; the track that allows her some room to shine, "'Cause We've Ended as Lovers," can be seen here.





A seasonal note is struck by Brian Setzer's Orchestra in this Hep-Cat version of "Jingle Bells." Honestly, playing in the Setzer Orchestra must be the coolest gig imaginable.





Hitting cleanup is the heroic Jimmy Vaughan, an authentic American Blues virtuoso and genuine patriot, singing "Down With Big Brother." Too often introduced as the brother of the late Stevie Ray, Jimmy V. is a titan in his own right who should be referred to as "Stevie Ray's guitar teacher."




Remember: De gustabis, non disputandum est...

... and I'll be back to regular blogging tomorrow.

Dum spiro, pugno!

7 comments:

Jay Watson said...

Dear Mr. Grigg,
Not only are you brilliant; and eloquent; and a 'warrior for liberty'; and a man of the Lord; but your taste in music is "spot on." I will continue to pray for your wife (and now your sick children too).
Pax Christi,
Pastor JW Watson

Anonymous said...

Will,

We sincerely hope that Korrin and your children recover quickly.

--jorge

William N. Grigg said...

Thanks so much for your prayers and kind wishes. I'm hoping that Korrin will be with us to celebrate Christmas, but right now the prospects aren't very encouraging.

God bless!

dixiedog said...

I like Jimmie Vaughan's blues style. He probably ranks up there in the blues genre with the likes of Doc Watson and Earl Scruggs in their respective bluegrass/country genre. I'm particular to bluegrass/country, southern rock, blues, and soul myself.

Keep us up to date on your wife's condition as needed and I'll certainly continue to pray for her. Lord willin', you'll all be able to celebrate Christmas together as a family at home ;).

Luke (alias "Lines With Chrome") said...

Mr. Grigg,

Keep fighting the good fight. May God speedily return Korrin and the kids to good health, and Korrin to your house. You're all in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

This post gives me the excuse to note that turning 60 last week (Nov. 29) was one Ronnie Montrose, to whom you might raise a glass in cheer.

Anonymous said...

Will,

Your opinons on Mormons and Mormonism should be couched with the statement that you are indeed an exmo malcontent. You have the spirit of Judas about you and I have lived to see you leave the church as well as split the John Birch Society down theological lines. Your bitterness has led my father, a lifetime member of the JBS who worked as a coordinator in Idaho before you could pronounce the hallowed name of Robert Welch, to part ways and start working with other groups. You are correct that many LDS folks are severely misinformed when it comes to politics, including some of its leaders. Your assertion about hive mentality is no more than a stereotype furthered by those who condescendingly put themselves out as a voice of reason. You are one of those. The only thing uglier than your egotism is your bile that you spew at us.

Lest you claim that I don't know you, I will let you know that I sat through some of your Sunday School and Priesthood lessons in a mostly newlywed ward in Orem. They were some of the most interesting and enlightening lessons I had ever partaken of. That is why I know that you were once endowed with a teaching spirit and you have turned from it like a Pharisee for the praise of men. You are Judas. You wanted the Church to come out in some sort of militaristic fashion to defend your political stances just as Judas wanted from the Savior. It wasn't his function then and it isn't the Churches function now to comment politically. You know this but have turned away. Make sure you have those 30 pieces of silver with you when you when you die. I'm sure the Savior will be proud of them when you lay them at his feet.

You are an amazing intellect and well read to be sure, but you have sold your birthright for a mess of pottage. I am not asking you return to the church (even though it will always accept you) I am asking you to leave it alone. Not for me, not for the church, but for your own embitteed soul.

Contact me anytime you would like to gnash your teeth on something.

Eric A. Thomas
Lehi, Utah
jenneric630@yahoo.com